It has been very interesting to see my learning process with this whole Italian thing. At first, you just feel like an alien on another planet. After a while, I really sank into saying, "Parla Inglese" (Do you speak English?) and if people said no, I just kind of gave up. Later, if they said no, I moved into my charades and pointing mode which was always fun. If you ever want to feel like an idiot just try to do the hand signals for, "my shower drain is clogged and needs Drano". It's like, I might as well get some balloons and try to making you a balloon figure of what I am trying to talk to you about.
But, just recently, i've noticed that I am trying to "use my words" more. I know a lot of the words- it's just that in the moment I freak out and can't remember anything. The last week or so I have very calmly been able to understand what people are trying to say and I have been saying enough that they can understand me. I'm sure I am butchering the language, but at least I am getting my point across. It is such a funny sense of accomplishment when you can conduct an entire transaction in a store without doing any weird hand motions or saying "UMMMMMM" for five minutes before giving up. In fact, yesterday in a store I had to help the store owner add up what I owed her and tell her what it was, which was very funny.
But, I feel like I am getting somewhere. Italian is fun, but not that applicable when I get home. I think when I get back to the States and get my schedule in order, I may try to take some Spanish classes because I feel like knowing another language- especially Spanish, is such a huge asset in today's society. Besides, it would be nice to be bilingual- you know, like most of the world's population is (besides us Americans because we just make everyone else speak our language...).
Anyway, I'm supposed to go to Rome tomorrow which should be fun. I'll be back on Sunday, so I guess i'll blog again then!
Thursday, March 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment