Wow. We have seen so many amazing things this week. From the Eiffel Tower to Versailles, Mont St. Michel to Normandy, Brugge, Belgium and now, Amsterdam. I have been struck by so many things this trip that each one could have it's own blog...but I guess to sum it up i'll say this. When we were in Normandy visiting the American Military Cemetary it really hit me how if we hadn't been successful in the war, my family and I wouldn't exist. We would have been wiped out and the world would be a very different place. This trip has also made me so aware of languages and what a handicap it is to only speak English. Coming from Italy where I was just getting used to the Italian and going to France, I was totally lost. And now that we're in Amsterdam, I don't even try to speak Dutch. Without meaning any disrespect, it is the most ridiculous language I have ever come across. It just doesn't seem necessary to have that many vowels in one word...
I'm posting a picture of Mont St. Michel, which is an amazing cathedral on top of a hill that is surrounded by water at high tide...as well as a picture of the battleground near Omaha beach in Normandy. It is incredible how the ground has huge craters from the bombs. It really makes everything snap into perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment