Monday, March 5, 2007

Paris, Part II


We did a long exploration of the Louvre today. It was great to see a lot of the works that I have studied in art history classes, both recently and in the past, up close and in person. We got to see the Venus De Milo, many works by Botticelli, and of course, the Mona Lisa. Many people have told me that the Mona Lisa was a waste of time to see because it is very small and not Leonardo's best work- that it was a lot of "hubbub" over nothing. I still wanted to see it though and I have to say that I fully disagree. Even standing behind the plexiglass, the first barracade, the second barracade and about twenty people, I still found her to be breathtaking- and certainly something special and worth seeing. I will fully agree that she may not be one of Leonardo's most magnificent works- there are many that could give Mrs. Lisa a run for her money, but make no mistake, she is special. There is something about the look on her face that would tell anyone that she is worth all the hubbub. So, that's my two cents.
Then we went and saw Notre Dame which was also amazing, both inside and out. We climbed to the top (or almost to the top- i'm not the bionic woman you know...) and saw magnificent views of the city. Over all, I have to say that I am quite fond of Paris and that her food and sights make me retract any prejudice I may have had about the French- even if the prejudices are still true...anyone who thought of putting chocolate in a crepe is fine in my book. I hereby retract all negative statements ever made on the grounds of good food.
Tomorrow we are getting our rental car and moving out...going to see what other people in France, Belgium, and the Netherlands can do with chocolate.

3 comments:

Missy said...

Kate-
I am Jill's friend, Missy (we probably last saw each other when you were 10). I am an Italian art geek, so she thought I'd enjoy your blog and she was right! Sounds like you are having an amazing experience. I just wanted to urge you to go to Siena if you can. It's my favorite city in Italy--I even named my daughter after it! The Campo on a warm day is like the beach!! Enjoy Firenze & the rest! I am jealous! Ciao!

Kate said...

Hi missy!
Jill told me you had a daughter named Siena, I just never made the connection...I've been dying to go there. We were supposed to go last weekend but it was raining and we thought we'd save it for a sunny day. Definately going to get there before I leave though. Let me know if you think of any more suggestions!

Jill said...

I just LOVE the connection I've made!!!!! xoxoxoxo