Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Midterms

Ah, the smell of midterms is in the air...young souls sitting in corners glued to books, panicking on the inside...I hate midterms- don't get me wrong. But I do find it interesting how everyone reacts to them differently. You can tell a lot about a person by how they react to midterms (or finals). Some people don't do anything- they're the same people that barely came to class, never picked up a pen, and didn't buy the book. They will probably do just well enough to pass, because that works for them. Then there are the last minute crammers. That's me. I won't be able to focus on the information until the last minute, so I wait for it....now, probably would be wise for me to study at least the night before, but life always wins out for me. For instance, last night The Departed was playing at the Odeon. Now, I could have stayed home and stared at my notes, pretending to study, or I could go to a movie, eat some gummy bears, and keep my fingers crossed. Somehow, it seems to work out all right for me. Then you have the last catagory. The cry-ers (cryer is not a word, but I like it). I am sitting in the lounge as we speak across from a girl who is weeping over her laptop. She just did poorly on her first midterm and has a few hours until her next, so she is internally flogging herself over her failure and weeping. I can't understand this tactic. It does no good. Weeping never helps anything, but especially studying. Weeping does nothing for studying. I figure, even if I fail my midterms, in ten years all I will remember about this experience is wonderful Florence. I'm not going to remember what grades I got. It does suck though because our teachers aren't really teaching our classes like normal college classes- they're much easier, which is great, but the tests are like Italian University tests. Really difficult and in depth. It isn't a recipe for success. Anyway, I have no idea how i'm going to make out here, but i'll tell you one thing....i'm not gonna weep. As Gary said in Noises Off, "Don't panic!Don't panic!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot the fourth type, the type that everyone really, really hates. The kind who buy the book, and go to class, but never really read the book, never take notes, never study, and sometimes forget assignments.

And then they do well in the class, with seemingly no effort.

Jerks.






i was one of those.