Every Tuesday I have Italian Language Lab where we study more applicable parts of the Italian language for about an hour. We can ask my teacher questions about things we run into everyday here and don't understand. Sometimes they teach us how to order something or ask for something and then actually take us to a store or a cafe to practice.
Today, my teacher pulled out a game that Italians play on the holidays, like after Christmas dinner. It's a lot like Bingo. You have cards and someone pulls numbers out of a bag and reads them outloud (it helps us practice our numbers in Italian). If you have that number written on your card, you cover it with a little piece of paper. The first person to get four in a line wins a prize. You keep playing and getting prizes until someone wins the prize for having every number covered (a "black out" - shout out to the Grand Lake Rotary Club, Wah hoo!)
Anyway,
My classmate starts reading the numbers (can't get ONE single number right for crying out loud they're written on the fricken' chalk board in front of your face...sorry...outburst) and I don't get a single number. We go for about fifteen minutes and everyone is putting little pieces of paper over their numbers and my three cards are still blank. Sarah, my sweet Italian teacher, looks at me and keeps going, "oh, Kate. None? Still?" Like i'm a poor lost puppy. I kept cracking up to myself and trying not to laugh outloud because all I could think of was Grand Lake bingo and the "Most Rotten Card" games that I used to give people a run for their money in. I kept feeling the urge to stand up....I guess it doesn't matter how far you go- you can cross an ocean- and your bingo luck will follow you.
Remember that.
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ah, the rottenest card competition - and little you, last person standing. One of my fondest Grand Lake Bingo memories - that, and the time you won and wouldn't yell Bingo! It must be all the funnier in Italian.
Post a Comment