So, going to school at a university in Italy has already been a very interesting experience. Even though our school is very different from actual Italian universities, the professors seem to be very similar. I had a test in our Roman History class on Wednesday. The man who teaches this class, although very attractive, doesn't seem to speak English incredibly well. So, he sits a reads off of a typed sheet of paper that he makes the night before. So being in this class is a lot like having a history text book read to you, in a strong Italian accent. It's really hilarious because the only time he stops reading is to tell you about how some word in the Enlish language originates from Roman and then Latin. He's like the father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", it always cracks me up. I don't really have a problem with this except it doesn't give you a lot of opportunity to retain a lot of information. Also, because the professor is Italian, he does things the Italian way. This means that we still haven't gotten a syllabus yet (scratch that, a few people have a syllabus because when the professor made copies one day he just gave them to a few people he happened to bump into on the way from the copy machine...very organized distribution...) and we still haven't gotten a text book because he was late in ordering it, and the Italian book store is not urging the ordering along. So you can imagine when he announced we were having our first test, I felt a little apprehensive.
However, he handed out the essay test that just said to write on a certain period of time, and then he was like, "But, you know guys, (that's his favorite saying), just write about whatever you want." So, being the extremely talented bull shitter that I am, I wrote part of the essay summarizing the time period (of course void of names and dates, because who can remember those), and then spent the rest of the essay discussing my opinion of the way civilizations evolve, making sure to use really big words that I knew he wouldn't understand. I'm hoping that it works out for me. I'll let you know.
Friday, February 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Over the course of time and education, I have successfully done what you precisely described, and not even in a foreign country. Congratulations - and welcome to the Scholars' Club!
Post a Comment