Yesterday was definately the day of new discoveries. First, we found the real "market". We've been doing all of our grocery shopping in the grocery stores, but had heard about this big food market that was really close to our house- we just never seemed to be able to find it. Yesterday, we realized that it is housed in this giant warehouse that is in fact just a few blocks from our apartment. Danielle and I went in there and our eyes just kept getting bigger and bigger. The first floor is for the butchers and wine shops. There are some of the funkiest looking meats I have ever seen (many of which had heads, and some still had fur...like a leg of wild boar just hangin' from the ceiling...). Of course you also have the typical weird meats like brains and tripe, tongues, etc. Then you go upstairs and there is all of the magnificent produce. Fresh fruits and vegetables everywhere. The whole place is bustling and everyone is just standing around, waiting to help you. Quite the experience. We also found a fresh pasta place where we bought some fresh ravioli (which turned out to be the best ravioli I have ever eaten). After that, we went to the Boboli Gardens in the Pitti Palace. This palace is unbelievably huge. We didn't even go in, we really just went this time for the gardens. The weather has been unbelievable here, not a cloud in the sky. The gardens go on and on for what seems like forever. There are little paths everywhere and you just keep randomly choosing which direction you want to go. I have to say that it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I definately plan on going back, and the picture doesn't come close to doing it justice. Everything was perfectly trimmed and green, the birds were chirping, the air was fresh and crisp, and sometimes you found yourself in a little wooded area where the afternoon light was just peeking through on the ground in little spots. I'm telling you, utopia.
Sunday, February 4, 2007
Adventures All Around
Yesterday was definately the day of new discoveries. First, we found the real "market". We've been doing all of our grocery shopping in the grocery stores, but had heard about this big food market that was really close to our house- we just never seemed to be able to find it. Yesterday, we realized that it is housed in this giant warehouse that is in fact just a few blocks from our apartment. Danielle and I went in there and our eyes just kept getting bigger and bigger. The first floor is for the butchers and wine shops. There are some of the funkiest looking meats I have ever seen (many of which had heads, and some still had fur...like a leg of wild boar just hangin' from the ceiling...). Of course you also have the typical weird meats like brains and tripe, tongues, etc. Then you go upstairs and there is all of the magnificent produce. Fresh fruits and vegetables everywhere. The whole place is bustling and everyone is just standing around, waiting to help you. Quite the experience. We also found a fresh pasta place where we bought some fresh ravioli (which turned out to be the best ravioli I have ever eaten). After that, we went to the Boboli Gardens in the Pitti Palace. This palace is unbelievably huge. We didn't even go in, we really just went this time for the gardens. The weather has been unbelievable here, not a cloud in the sky. The gardens go on and on for what seems like forever. There are little paths everywhere and you just keep randomly choosing which direction you want to go. I have to say that it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I definately plan on going back, and the picture doesn't come close to doing it justice. Everything was perfectly trimmed and green, the birds were chirping, the air was fresh and crisp, and sometimes you found yourself in a little wooded area where the afternoon light was just peeking through on the ground in little spots. I'm telling you, utopia.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment