Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Everyone's Fricken Pavarotti

I swear these Italians...they sing...CONSTANTLY. Everywhere. At first it was a charming perk to this beautiful city. Now however, it's just getting annoying. Every night around 2 AM someone walks down our street, singing. These streets are narrow with tall buildings. Sound travels.
The funny thing is that it isn't the same person every time. People leave the bars to go home, and they sing the whole way. Sometimes it's one person, hell, sometimes it's an entire choir of Italian folks singing some crappy American song from the 80's. Although the 80's thing is funny the first time, by the third or fourth time you are woken up to the sounds of Italian accents singing Billy Idol, you are compelled to throw something off your Tuscan balcony...
But the singing isn't limited to young people, or talented people for that matter. Just this morning I was walking down my street and an old man on bicycle (who was as you guessed it, singing) actually slowed down and inappropriately stared at me while he was singing (at this point, singing to me...) I almost said, "seriously? you're like 80. And don't you hear yourself?" But I didn't. Mainly because he would have had no idea what I was saying.

3 comments:

Bill said...

Hey Kate! Finally caught up on your blogs. Great stuff and funny, funny, funny! Your Mom told me about the great time you had at the airport after I witnessed your 1st travail that day w/the curb-side check-in dude from hell..... Anyhow, sounds like you're doing great in spite of leacherous men (young and old)! Also, like James, I'm jealous too!

Unknown said...

Thanks...I'm getting ready to go to work and now I have "White Wedding" in my head, where it will no doubt stay for the rest of the day. (On the bright side, no one will wake me up at 2 am by singing it on the street--at least, I don't think it's very likely.)
xoxo, nancy

Anonymous said...

Aw, c'mon Kate. They're a happy people. You can't be mad at them for being happy!

Of course, this just totally reinforces a stereotype, because now I picture all of them strolling around and singing "That's Amore!"