Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sweet, Sweet Penicillin


I would like to take a moment to publicly thank Sir Alexander Fleming and Howard Walter Florey for having saved my life, on numerous occasions. As the two most responsible for bringing us antibiotics, they have most certainly saved more lives than I can imagine. As I have been laying in bed waiting for my Penicillin to kick my Strep's ass, I was contemplating how many times in my life that I would have died if it had not been for antibiotics. I probably had strep once or twice when I was little (at least) and then there is that nasty Staph infection that I had when I was in 8Th grade. I'll never forget how much pain I was in, and then within 2 doses of antibiotics, I could barely tell I'd had an infection at all. That was when my real appreciation for antibiotics started.
But seriously, think about it- how bad ass is Penicillin? I mean, I'm driving home from the doctor with my prescription and I'm thinking, "Oh strep... you messed with the wrong person. You are going to be in soooooo much trouble. Penicillin is going to kick your ass so bad, there won't even be a fair fight. Just wait until I get home, eat a cracker, and take my first pill. You will roo the day you decided to mess with me."
It almost makes me feel better, like Penicillin is a super hero and it's coming to save me from the evil bacteria, Strep. In fact, Penicillin is way tougher (and smaller) than most super heroes.

So yeah. I took my pills, and now I'm almost all better. Still have a little ways to go, but not too shabby considering I had a fever and giant ulcers in my throat the day before yesterday. Hurray for Penicillin. If Penicillin were a person and I were I town, I would throw it a parade.....

1 comment:

Jill said...

Glad the medicine is kicking Strep's butt. Maybe now you'll find the Popsicle jokes funny! Glad you're on the mend.