Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So much better than the circus.

Where to begin?
I walked two blocks down the street from my house and I ran smack dab into a group by the name of "Iraq Veterans Against The War". Now when I say "smack dab" I mean I literally found myself stuck in the middle of this group. It wouldn't have been a big deal except that they were dressed in camo garb and pretending like they were in a war zone. So they were swooping and ducking and pointing their finger guns in the air. Then the leader dude would shout something and they would drop to the ground all together. I don't need to tell you that I was that one moron standing there. I couldn't lay down because that would be really dumb, and standing there made me the moron standing there. Plus, they had an entourage of camera men and photographers-- so I am going to be in all of the film and photos...just standing there. I was telling my Mom that I should be a photojournalist because with my weird luck and timing, I'd always stumble right into the action, without even knowing it. I'm so Detective Clouseau.


So I finally lost the soldiers and made my way down the street. Not 10 minutes later I came upon two vans unloading cop after cop like a clown car. And a side note-- the van had a bumper sticker on it that said, "Obama for rock star, McCain for president", which I thought was kind of funny-- but I was also wondering why a tax dollar funded police department can have their opinion on the tax funded van?
Anyway, then the equestrian police strolled by.

I made my way down to Civic Center Park which is in between the Capital building and the City and County building. I thought this was a cool view including the public library and art museum- oh and the blow up Ralph Nader liberty bell...more on that later.

This cracked me up- this was a tourist woman getting her picture taken with the riot police. She was very excited about it, and surprisingly, the police officer seemed happy to help.

And there were the 5 mashuganas that always show up to the party.

Oh and this guy- he seems to be against everything and everyone. The thing that I was most confused about was that he was an African American man, and you don't really see African Americans wielding Confederate Flags....but whatever.

The other 4 people left this guy and I don't know who gave him a megaphone...but I thought he was gonna get his ass kicked.

This was awesome! It is like an off-road police golf cart! I so want one.

But no one did kick his ass, which I guess is good, but I was getting kind of board of listening to the Jesus guy arguing with everyone else, and then a parade came!




Every parade has someone making an ass of themselves.

Then right after the parade I ran into the grim reaper skeleton guy standing on a box in his Nike's. I guess 4147 is the U.S. death toll in the Iraq war (he didn't tell me, I looked it up. Skeleton guys standing on boxes in tennis shoes don't talk. Duh.)

And then we have the conspiracy theorists!

However, my very favorite part of this demonstration was this guy in the tie-- he looks like some poor schmuck that got stuck holding the end of the sign. I don't think he even knows where he is.

Then a homeless man was walking this adorable dog.

Now we're at that blow-up liberty bell I told you about. Ralph just doesn't give up, does he?

Next New York Times bestseller...

With all the discourse and chaos going on in the world, thank goodness there's always some moron there to think of throwing tea bags in the fountain. It's the Denver tea party!


Whew. That was a lot. I hope you have enjoyed Kate's amazing DNC adventure. The moral of this story is that there is a lot going on here in Denver right now. A little bit of everything, really....And a lot of crazy. Good night, and good luck.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I was wondering about you and how crazy things were in Denver right now. Thanks for the photo tour--you should consider a career in photojournalism!