Thursday, July 31, 2008

Popsicles Revisited.

So here we are again. Heinously sore throat, and no solution. A sore throat is so debilitating. How are you supposed to even lay still when your throat lining feelings like it is tearing 24 hours a day? Now, if you could see me you would see a girl who has an ice pack tied around her neck and a dumb look on her face because her prescribed Vicodin just kicked in, (yeah, the doctor thought it would help with the huge ULCERS in the back of my throat). But no, I just feel loopy and my throat is still throbbing. So, I desperately reach for a Popsicle, because what else is there to do? I get an orange, not my desired flavor but we've already covered that). I am trying to eat this Popsicle even though the sheer act of swallowing makes my eyes water. It isn't helping at all. Nothing is helping. Then I look down at the half eaten Popsicle, and I see part of the joke peaking out- you know how all Popsicles these days have jokes typed on the sticks? Now, I was thinking that Popsicles are a great summertime snack, and a healthy alternative to ice cream, BUT- They are also used for Strep throat (case and point), tonsil removal, wisdom teeth issues, and a myriad of other ailments to the mouth and throat. So, I was thinking that I really wished there was something encouraging on that Popsicle stick, like maybe, "everything is going to be OK." Or, "This pain will not last forever", or even, "Go to your happy place". Not that it would work- I would probably just curse at the stick and tell it to F-Off, but I think it would be better than a joke. I'm looking at that stick thinking, "I have a temperature of 102, my neck hurts, my throat is throbbing, I have to prepare myself every time I swallow, my head hurts from the fever, I am sleep deprived, and I can feel my pulse in my glands on my neck. Do you really think I want to read a F-ing joke right now?" It has become clear that the makers of these Popsicles need to put more thought into them, and I need to take a larger dose of Vicodin next time.

No comments: