Monday, August 18, 2008

Trials and Tribulations


I have a really tough job.
I have always had jobs that dealt with tough issues- the underbelly of society so to speak. I've always had a job where I was responsible for a troubled population, whether it was homeless pets- or now, neglected children. But this job I have now is especially challenging. I have never worked with children. I never thought I had the desire to work with children. It is an entire skill set that I am lacking. I have learned a lot in a short period of time, but this type of work requires a lot of time to really get the hang of it. So, I go to work and I am winging it. Constantly. It has been a while since I have had to learn a new job, and I am not going to lie, it is difficult. The way to handle each situation depends on every child's individual history and personality. It takes so much give and take, balance between being tough enough and yet sensitive at the exact right moment. I am getting better at it, but a lot of times I feel like the cat in this picture. Like a cat that is trying to keep a pack of German Shepherds in line- trying to get them to do what I want them to do, all the while keeping my fingers crossed that they don't decide to eat me. I am sure that learning how to handle all of these different situations will serve me well from now on. There are definite positives to figuring these things out- like patience, letting things go immediately for the sake of the greater good or the bigger picture, good communication, and learning how to read someone to find out when the right time is to speak, and when it is time to shut up. It's just that there are so few moments that I feel like I am getting it right, which I know just comes with the territory of learning something new. Right now the defeats are outnumbering the victories. But I guess the good news is that the German Shepherds haven't devoured me yet...yet being the key word.

No comments: