Thursday, January 18, 2007

USA-Dar

I don't know what the deal is exactly, but I can be walking down the street, not saying a word, and men harass me in English. Put aside the fact that they are harassing me, because that happens to everyone (who is American at least). But how do they know for sure that I am American? I haven't said a word to them, so it's not my ridiculous inability to speak their native language. I know that it is possible that my clothes set it off, but how do they know I'm not from a different country other than the U.S.? which brings me to the exciting things that happened to me today.
Not once, but TWICE today on the street people stopped me to ask a question (I don't know the question because of the afore mentioned language problem) but I know it was a question. And they asked me in Italian. BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT I WAS ITALIAN. I was so excited.
The people were a little disappointed when I opened my mouth and they realized that THEY HAD BEEN DOOPED BY AN AMERICAN. Yeah, I'm American you foolish Italian question askers. So there.
Ah, I somehow feel like I won a little today. Score: Italians-4,030,348
Me-2

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That means that you are walking confidently and looking like you know where you are going. Great! Soon you will be able to give directions in Italian. 'Til then, just learn the Italian for "Sorry, I don't know; I just got here from Milan." :-)

Anonymous said...

It could be the American Flag bikini you've been walking around in...

Jill said...

And you were afraid you wouldn't fit in... :-)

Kate said...

I have been sporting that red, white, and blue bikini a lot lately.