Monday, January 29, 2007

Lost In Translation


Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I was in Venice. An excuse I like so much, i'm considering using it once I get home for other reasons. Sorry I didn't finish my paper, I was in Venice. Sorry I forgot to pick up milk, I was in Venice. I like the way it sounds when it's coming out of my mouth. Here's one of my pictures from one of the days we were there. The weather was beautiful.
Anyway, I am at school right now in the dinky little student lounge using their incredibly slow internet connection. I had a great experience today in my Sociology of the Italian Family class. My teacher had 5 Italian mothers come into the class to talk to us and answer our questions. It's funny, because for some reason I pictured tiny old women with schmatas (sp.?) on their heads to come walking in the door. Just goes to show you what stereotypes can do. Instead 5 confident, beautiful Italian women ranging from their 40's to their 60's came strolling through the door. The women each introduced themselves and gave a little history about their lives. It was really interesting. Only a couple of them spoke English so the teacher had to translate a lot for them (she doesn't speak fantastic English either). It was hilarious because one of the women would say something and then another one would ask her a question in Italian, which would spark an erruption of discussion among all of the women that involved loud voices and elaborate gesturing and facial expressions, and then our teacher would say something like, "Her husband and sons eat lunch at home everyday." Of course you had to strain to hear the teacher over the conversation of the Italian women.
I learned some really interesting things though- for example, these women go to the grocery store EVERY day so that they can have fresh ingredients to cook meals for their families. Many families eat lunch together everyday, but it isn't quite as important as dinner which is ALWAYS eaten together, as a family. Many of the men stay at home with their mothers even when they are in their 30's and 40's if they're not married. Their mothers cook, clean, and take care of all of their needs, and this is a cultural norm. When one of the students in my class said that her parents make her pay them rent to stay at home, the Italian mothers all looked at each other and started talking. You could almost tell they were saying, "I should make my son pay rent!" They couldn't believe that. I guess it's actually Italian law that as long as your children live in your house you are required to take care of them.
The most interesting thing I found with these women though was the paradox between strength and obedience. They all are very strong, independent women who speak their minds. They know what they want and how they want it. However, they are also very bound by the sense of obedience- to both their families and traditions, but also to the Catholic church. It's such an odd combination and certainly a delicate balance.
Anway, it was very cool.

2 comments:

Jill said...

So many mama's boys in Italy, I'd imagine. If you meet a nice Italian man, make sure he's not living at home with his mother before he buys you a cup of coffee!

Kate said...

Seriously...I think they all live at home...why would they leave? It's free and they have their own personal maids and cooks!