I watched the final presidential debate last night, as many people did, and I walked away with a couple of favorite moments I'd like to share with you. First of all, be forewarned that this is a biased analysis- so if you are easily politically offended... don't read on.
First of all, I would like to start on a note not really related to any issue except what my friends and I refer to as the "lizard" issue. I don't know if any of you have noticed McCain's habit of sticking his tongue out like a reptile in between words and sentences, but my friends and I have found it to be a distracting factor when watching him speak. So last night we decided to tally his "lizard" tongue moves... and disturbingly enough, we counted 72 times that he stuck his tongue out, made that slurping noise, and sucked it back in. Ew. I felt violated. Do we really want a president that does that? Someone needs to talk to him about it.
Ok, so moving on from the disgust-- my favorite line from Obama last night happened after McCain had gone on and on about how Obama hadn't voted to save babies- calmly and cooly, Obama responded, "If it sounds incredible that I would vote to withhold life-saving treatment from an infant, that's because it's not true." It was actually one of the only times that Obama sounded like he was fighting back. I love Obama, but I have to say that during the debate I wanted him to man up a little bit. It reflects highly on him that he was able to stay so cool and rational while McCain was next to him slurping and rapidly blinking- but I wanted him to draw a line. He got bullied for a lot of the debate. Even though the second half definitely had Obama expressing his views better than McCain, he still got bullied. McCain would interrupt him and he would just stop talking. I wanted him to whack McCain on the nose with the newspaper at least once- even if it was subtle- just so we could see him exercise that back bone that I am almost positive he has. I don't know why he took all of that abuse without firing back a little more. At any rate, Obama definitely (in my opinion) appeared to be more in control of himself between the two, although I may just be biased because I am still upset that McCain called his wife a "trollup" and a "c*@t" in front of reporters at a benefit and no one is saying anything about that (ok so it was in 1992...but still...). It looks and sounds to me like John needs some anger management counseling.
My second favorite moment in the debate was when they were discussing Roe V. Wade and if the candidates would allow someone to be nominated into the supreme court if they disagreed with their particular view on the subject. Here is the video of McCain's response to that question:
I couldn't believe my ears when McCain said that he would never impose a litmus test on any nominee to the court and only consider the nominee's qualifications- then he says, "I don't believe someone who supported Roe V. Wade would meet those qualifications" WHAT!!!??? What did that guy just say?!?!? So John won't use his ideologies to make a decision, but since he thinks Roe V. Wade was a bad decision, if you don't too then you just aren't "qualified". Sorry. That scares me. Wow.
So those were my two favorite moments, broken up of course by the 72 incidents of tongue jabbing that McCain perpetrated (and don't forget the slurping sounds). I am relieved that the debates are over because while I want to watch them, I am so infuriated by John McCain AND Sarah Palin that I don't think I can really take it anymore. Even if you take out all of the politics, the two of them together are such a freak show on their own that they should drop out of the election and join a circus. There you have it folks- my conclusion: Obama for President, McCain/Palin for the greatest show on Earth.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment