You know, I have always been a good, moral, law abiding citizen. Even when I was in high school and people expect you to be bad, I was good. In fact, I usually spent my time taking care of all of the people who weren't good, law abiding citizens. I was the designated driver, the conflict manager, the risk manager, you name it- I was putting out fires all over town. I am the person who finds $200 dollars on the ground and not only tries to find its rightful owner, but when I can't, I don't feel lucky to have found it, but guilty. I'm that person.
That is why I am so pissed off with law enforcement.
It all started last week at a job interview that was at a police station. The interview quickly took a turn from a discussion to an interrogation and I felt like I was no longer applying for a job, but that I was 3 inches tall, 16 years old, and I had just been picked up for ding dong ditching. There were 3 cops- 2 good cops and 1 "bad" cop. You know the one I mean...buzz haircut, says everything at you- like he's trying to scare you all the time. The only thing that would have made it perfect would be if he had a box of doughnuts sitting in front of him. He was just plain mean and he ruined my interview for me. I would have been GREAT for this job. But instead, he decided to focus on my trespassing ticket when I was 17 and whether or not I ever tried pot in high school. This is where the bruise from law enforcement started, and it was cemented today.
So I am driving down the street downtown- literally 2 blocks from my house. I am distracted, I won't lie. I am thinking about 100 things at once (like everyone is, all the time), so I don't know exactly how fast I was going. I do know that the road I was on turns from a 35 mph to a 25 mph within those two blocks. At least I know that now...
This cop pulls me over and tells me I was going 41 in a 25. I don't believe him because not only do I not think I was going that fast, but my radar detector never went off. (Side note, yes, I have a radar detector. I used to have a serious speeding problem, and now I don't).
BUT IT NEVER WENT OFF. There is no way that guy zapped me with the radar gun. So I ask to see the gun, and sure enough he provides the evidence. I still don't believe him. But that is besides the fact.
The entire concept of the police and law enforcement has gone to shit because of it's position of power. These people should be your friendly neighborhood cops. Studies have shown this actually lowers crime rates. Instead, the have monthly quotas of speeding tickets to fulfill for that month, and so at the middle/end of the month, they sit around like spiders on a web. And isn't the best placed to knock out some fast tickets in an area where the speed limit changes suddenly and almost unnoticeably.
It's not that I have a problem with the ticket itself (I do because I think that he was full of sh*t, but that is besides the point). If I was speeding, I deserve a ticket. But the fact that they sit out there meeting a quota really pisses me off. This man has single handedly ruined multiple things for me at once. My car insurance will be going up in May, and half of the jobs I applied for that involve driving and a good MVR are now out the window. So after I finished weeping about it, I decided that I now have a beef with law enforcement. I am officially shunning the police.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sending you lots of empathy. That stinks.
Post a Comment