And it was awesome. I had a bunch of plans for the day, but I went to the gym, sat down on my couch afterwards, and never moved again.
I don't feel too badly about it though. First of all, two of the movies I watched were actually documentaries on a couple of very interesting topics. The first movie was called "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" and is about our twisted, biased, archaic rating system that is in use today for the media (mainly film). It was really interesting. I have always been interested in censorship issues and have known that the MPAA was a pretty insufficient system for censoring film, but this really enlightened me as to how much everything we see and hear is being fed to us. Pretty scary.
The second documentary was called "F*ck" and is about the word, it's origins, and how people's opinions differ about it. I love this topic because first of all, now that I am an adult, I can admit that I love using profanity. Of course, there is a time and a place, but I agree with many people in this film that profanity (especially the f-word in particular) is very helpful in really getting the strength of the point across, and I'm a fan. You can't use it all the time, or it would lose its magic. You have to save it for those special times when you can drop the f-bomb at the right moment and you can feel it shake the air around your face, you know? It is also really interesting to think about how this word has been around for hundreds of years (first published in the 1600's, but has been around since before that time) and originally only had one meaning. I think it says a lot about society (the American society in particular) that so much importance can be given to a word. A word that really isn't unlike any other word, but since people say it's bad, it must be. It's just funny, and idiotic. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I personally think that if people (mostly in Americans) would just unclench a little, they would find that they really only need to be in an uproar about maybe 1/4 of what they're always bitching about. And it doesn't matter if the right wing MPAA (which by the way has 2 clergy members on their appeals board at all times, and I KNOW they don't share MY viewpoints) and the FCC bans the media from using the f-word, kids are still going to hear it out of their parent's own mouths or their friends mouths and it will never go away. So I vote we all get comfortable with it. It's just a little more emphasis you know? I mean, fuck.
Sunday, May 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment