It's not like I haven't been doing stuff. I've been going out at night and trying to be active and social. But I ache for Florence and my roommates. I know it's normal and why it is that I am having this, blah blah blah. I'm not looking for a solution out of you people, I know there isn't one (I'm the psych/soc. major, remember?) But I just want some bitch time.
I miss the beauty of Italy. The rolling hills of Tuscany visible two minutes after you've left the city. I miss the cheap groceries, the smell of the woodburning stoves, the cobblestone streets, taking the train to the beach, the mysteries around every corner, coming home and almost always having at least one roommate there to greet me. I miss Michelle's daily status reports on things like bodily functions that we all really didn't want to hear about but listened to anyway, Linda's constant upbeat attitude, Cara's tripping over her own feet at least once on the way to anywhere, and Danielle's constant "your mom" comments. It could be about anything. Michelle could say, "Kate, could you chop those carrots?" and Danielle would say, "Your mom chops carrots". The funny thing is that this is no surprise to me. At the time whenever these things would happen, I would recognize that those were the things that I was going to miss.
I can't tell you how many times I laughed so hard at dinner that I thought I would A) throw up B) choke C) All of the above. That is such a rare thing, to laugh like that, that often. And I just miss it so much. It's not that I don't like Denver or being around my friends and family, because I love them very much. But right now, it all just doesn't seem quite good enough. I don't know what to do about it except hope that it fades and I can once again sink into my life here.
When I left for my trip, I thought that the hardest part would be getting myself there- I never imagined that in fact the hardest part would be coming home.
1 comment:
First of all, I'm SO glad your blog is continuing!
I'm sorry you are the opposite of homesick. Is that awaysick? :-) Time, my dear. It takes time. You had an amazing experience and you miss it. It makes sense. Just feel those feelings and ride them along...xoxo Jill
P.S. Thanks for my card! It was SO thoughtful!!!!
Post a Comment