Friday, April 27, 2007

This Does Not Bode Well


Today is my very last day in Florence. My roommates and I are supposed to have a picnic in the Boboli Gardens and then have dinner at our favorite restaurant (il Porcuspino-the same one where we ate for the first time here).
As I left the apartment this morning, our landlord, who lives next door, was blasting Michael Buble's song, "Home". If you haven't heard it, it is all about wanting to go home. I stood there for a second and realized instead of feeling nostalgic, I don't want to go home at all. About three weeks ago I wanted to go home. Now, not so much.
Then I got into the internet place and got an e-mail about going home and teared up. You know what this means. The ugly cry is imminent. I may be able to hold it together long enough to say goodbye, although I doubt it. But at some point tonight or tomorrow I am going to lose it. I'm not looking forward to it- nothing worse than a public display of soggy emotion. But, I don't think I have much control over it.
And, you guessed it, this is my last blog from Florence. I may keep the blog once I get home- I haven't decided.
I can't believe how quickly this time has passed and how much of a dream this semester has been. I came out here expecting a lot of trials and tribulations and instead just about everything was a dream come true. I really couldn't find anything to complain about besides crappy household plumbing and obnoxious Italian men. Everything else was nearly perfect, which is definately not something I expected. I'm wondering how difficult the adjustment back to my life will be. Even just the little things like not saying "grazie" or expecting that people don't speak English out of instinct. I haven't driven a car in 4 months. I'm going from an apartment with 4 other girls back to my apartment by myself. I almost feel bad for my dog because I'll probably be clinging all over her when I get home.
On the other hand, I counted 10 mosquito bites on my right hand and arm this morning, which is unpleasant to say the least. I hope that the mosquito who did this to me exploded from over-eating. I can't wait for my bed at home and air conditioning. I can't wait to rejoin my gym (if you can believe that). I have really toned legs from all of the stairs here and a gelato gut..... not a winning combo. Plus, something that smells similar to chicken fat has spilled in the bottom of our refridgerator and formed a gel- that's when you know it's time to move out.

Thank you so much to everyone who read my blog and kept in touch with me! I am sure that it helped me feel more connected to home and helped hold off the homesickness!

I'm sure I will be seeing/talking to you all very soon!

Arrivederci Tutti!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Safe trip home Kate! I'm glad you are so sad to leave (though that sounds odd); what a rich and wonderful experience!
love Nancy

Marilyn said...

This is what I call a perfect life experience - tears when it starts and tears when it ends. I'm so happy that this time has been everything you wanted it to be, and so much more. Ciao Bella!

Jill said...

Hey, when you're in our family, tears flow easily. And that's a good thing--it means that you care. I'm so, so glad you had a wonderful time. And remember, whenever you need to get away, L.A. is here waiting for you!!!!!
Safe travels!
xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Soexcitedosexcitedsoexcited!

Anonymous said...

Kate, Good luck with your adjustment back. I have enjoyed reading about your adventures! I just love you Salkin-folk. I am very blessed to have adopted all of you! -Missy (not Hans, my hubby)