All of the things I am about to rant about fall under the "If you don't like it, go home" catagory- so don't bother saying it, cause I am. But if I weren't leaving I think I would be on the news for attacking an Italian person. They are really pissing me off today. First of all, I can't stand the cat calls any longer. It's hot (oppressively) and all I want to do is get from point A to point B. The Italian men have this way of doing a cat call that sounds like someone clearing their teeth ( that gross sucking in through your teeth noise) and not only is it gross, but exceedingly annoying when having heard it for almost 4 months.
Next, I would like to talk about how Italians have no concept of any other people unless they know them. I am sure that to their friends and family, they are lovely. But to strangers, you might as well not exist because it seems like they can't even see you. When I am walking down the street, it is at least a weekly occurrance that someone coughs or sneezes directly ON ME. Covering your mouth doesn't happen here in Italy, (along with most sanitary practices we treasure in the United States), and since I obviously am invisible, why not sneeze right in my face as I am walking by- or better yet, how about wait until I am mid-sentence and basically cough into my open mouth. I just love when that happens.
Next, lets talk about just trying to walk anywhere, period. Since I am obviously invisible it is ok to completely cut me off as I walk down the sidewalk, or, to stop in the middle of the sidewalk so that no one can get by you. My favorite is how the buses, scooters, and cars don't follow any traffic laws so even if they have a stop sign and I am crossing at a pedestrian cross walk, they will still run me over every time if I don't stop walking.
The Italians talk and sing non-stop just for the sake of hearing their own voices. Forget about customer service or even the common courtesy of not touching me if I don't know you.
On top of all of this, my crack-head sociology teacher (if you can call her that) showed us a movie today and sprung a last minute paper on us that is due the day after tomorrow (the same time that we take our FINAL), AND black chunks of probably some form of toxic metal have started coming out of our kitchen faucet in mass numbers. Yuck. Over all, Italy is really pissing me off today. I never thought I would say this, but I think I have had enough of Italians for a while.
The only positive note of the day was that Lorenzo, my Roman History teacher, came into class with his usual perfectly groomed facial hair and I didn't have to take notes today- so I just sat and stared at him for an hour and fifteen minutes. Ah. I will miss Lorenzo.
Monday, April 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Don't sweat it. It's funny that, as much as people complain about some aspects of the US, we've got a few things really made. Like traffic laws, and manners.
Have you ever just flipped a catcaller the bird? If I were there (you know me) I'd be doin' it nonstop....
I think this is a higher power's way of preparing you to come home!!!!! And, at least when you're here, you can dream about Lorenzo.
When we first got here a cop told us a story about a girl last semester who flipped off two catcallers driving by on a scooter. They stopped the scooter and proceeded to beat her face in. The Italian culture doesn't feel as strongly about hitting women either...
Kate-Thanks so much for the postcard! Glad you liked Siena! I can imagine that the Italian men would get really old after a while. I just hope they don't color your memories of your awesome experience! Savor that gelato... -Missy (not actually anonymous--for some reason I am incapable of remembering my google password)
I can't believe you got the postcard so quickly! The Italian postal service is so unpredictable, I figured it would take at least a couple weeks..... : )
Post a Comment