Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My friend, the financial advisor.

My friend just started working for Prudential, and he called me a couple of weeks ago asking if I would come into his office and let him talk to me for 30 mins about what he was doing, and to maybe discuss my goals. I explained to him that I had no goals, but that I would come meet with him. I was going in expecting for us to sit in his office and chit chat for a half an hour so that his boss would think he was building his client base. In fact, I had been trying to get cable yesterday and it was too expensive, so I had plans of discussing ways of getting illegal cable with him-- because if anyone I know has illegal cable, it would be him.
But I was mistaken. We were in a conference room with his boss going over his plan of action for analyzing my future. This is where I got deeply depressed. We talked about investment options, savings plans, insurance policies, etc. Each time I had to explain to him that none of these things were feasible for me right now. I have no money to invest. I have no family to plan for. In fact, it made me want to punch him in the face for making me meet with him. Also, I come from a Jewish family, and Jews do not like talking about death. We just don't. We are conditioned from little children that if you speak of it, it could happen, and therefore if the subject comes up, we must spit or knock or something because you must do something to counteract the talking about it. It is very uncomfortable. So as I am sitting there listening to him discuss the burden of funeral costs, I am fighting the urge to knock on that table or spit three times under my breath. But I didn't because I didn't want to freak his boss out. On top of that, there were water color paintings of the Daniel's and Fisher tower all over the room. This is a landmark building in Denver, and one of those things that is constantly reminding me about something I am trying not to be constantly reminded about...vague, I know. This is when it occurred to me that there are some times in my life that seem like scenes from a movie. This was definitely one of those times. So, I left his office feeling completely behind, old, reminded, unprepared, and cursed (from all of the death talk). I went straight to Best Buy, bought season 4 of Grey's Anatomy, and sat in an almost catatonic state for the remainder of the day. Moral of the story- don't do your friends any favors....

No comments: