Monday, September 3, 2007

Country Fair



I was in Massachusetts and Connecticut this past weekend. I went there for a wedding (which was wonderful, and so fun to see all my family). The day before the wedding I was in Connecticut with my friend from Italy. She took me to a country fair in Woodstock, CT. It was so entertaining. Between the food, the animals, and the people, there was a lot to see. First, I saw some 900 lb, blue ribbon winning pumpkins. These things were amazingly huge. Next, we saw the tractor pull. I don't really understand the draw of this "sport". I mean, I can wrap my brain around men fixing up their tractors and trying to pull irrelevant, heavy crap. That part makes total sense to me, I mean, they're guys. They have to find some way to spend time doing something that involves breaking things with great force or pulling things. But the audience sucked. I mean, there were no hoots, no hollers. Just silence as these old men on tractors pulled a pile of cement rectangles (I'm sure they have a real name). I was standing there with my funnel cake thinking, "we need some audience participation here". I didn't even like the tractor pull and I felt like they needed a mascot or something.
Anyway, it was really fun. It was great to see Michelle and drive around the country towns. It was also great being in Boston and seeing all my family. Overall, it was a good weekend with some interesting events molded into one.

No comments: