I was forwarded an e-mail yesterday that had a link to a website that calculates your approximate life expectancy. So, I went out of curiosity. I answered all of the questions honestly, and to my surprise, my actual age right now is around 20- instead of almost 25. At the very end, it informed me that I should expect to live around another 19,900 days.
Anyone that knows me well knows that I have a little bit of a death phobia...well actually, not really a phobia because that would suggest it's an irrational fear, and who isn't a little worried about dying? So when I was given this number of days I sat there for a minute and tried to decide if that sounded like a lot of days or not. How do you wrap your brain around almost 20,000 days? I can't really picture it. Even though it's a huge number, my first instinct was to be like, "oh my god. There's a estimate. I am going to die and it will only be in 19,900 days." Then I thought, "would it be cheating if I rounded up to 20,000? I mean that is almost 1/3 of a year...". I really almost flew into a panic about what seemed to be a new countdown that had begun in my head. Then I stopped panicking (don't know how that happened), and started thinking about all of the possible things that can happen in my remaining days. On my birthday in two months I will have been alive for approximately 9,131 days. That means I am around a third of my way through life. To think about all the crazy things I have already done with my "used" days...I can only imagine how exciting the next 20,000 (ok, I AM rounding up) will be. All the places i'll go and people i'll meet...I just hope it doesn't slow down. You know when you're a little kid how you have your hands in everything? you do everything and try everything. If something looks like fun you whine until eventually you get to try it? I hope that curiousity and desire to participate in life never goes away.
On another note...I calculated Isabelle's days...she only has 3,652 days left to vomit on my stuff and eat lint off the floor. I told her but it didn't seem to phase her. She seems ok with it. This also means that my "new, pretty couch" has approximately 3,652 days to avoid being the victim of any number of Isabelle's projectile incidents. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Here is the link if you want to give yourself a mid-life crisis...
http://www.peterrussell.dreamhosters.com/Odds/RealAge.php
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment