Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Memory Lane


I have been having a bit of an identity crisis lately. I have these periodically-- I think that everyone probably does at one point or another. I used to attribute them to being around the time a new semester started, but now that I am out of school, I have just realized that my identity must enter crisis mode quarterly....
I was at my Mom's house tonight, and of course I was venting to her about my renewed frustration regarding my path in life and how I really would like it if my life could be like one of those books- you know, the ones where they tell you all of the options for the endings and you get to choose? I just feel like I have so many options that I don't know about... How am I supposed to choose without knowing all of my options?
Anyway, while I was at her house, I grabbed some bins to clean out that had some of my old stuff in them. I love the mystery of going through things like that, because you never know what you are going to discover- or what you may remember that your brain has hidden away somewhere. It was actually perfect timing, because at times of transition in your life, it becomes really easy to forget who you are, exactly. I found old notes and pictures that I haven't seen in a decade. It really helped me to remember where I came from and what my foundation is. It is bittersweet because things are so different now than when I was in middle school or high school, but some things are the same. I still have some of the same friends. It's weird to read a note from a friend talking about little kid things- like sleep overs and first kisses, and then to know that I am having dinner at her house tomorrow, where we'll talk about work and life over a glass of wine. Such a twilight zone- but it is so great to have people in your life besides your family that have known you for that long. They really become entrusted with keeping your history. They were there when you were a mischievous pre-teen, and when you were a rowdy teenager, and they will help you remember how you got here. That's what I needed tonight. To remember how I got here.

No comments: