I was walking home from class tonight around dusk. It's funny how you can watch the seasons change through the light if you have to be somewhere at the same time everyday. I used to walk home from my class in broad daylight, and now it's almost dark by the time I get home. (As soon as it gets a little darker I'll start driving...don't think I don't know my family who's reading this wasn't thinking that...). I was walking and listening to this great soothing Jack Johnson song and I had one of those little bursts of magic moments. The city had quieted down because most people had gone home from work and things were almost frozen in the aqua blue light of dusk. The weather was perfect. It was probably 70 degrees, maybe a little warmer, with a very gentle breeze- the kind that just grazes your skin and gets your hair just perfectly out of your face. The lights of the city were just barely starting to glow and my block turned from a big city to a little neighborhood- the only people really on the street were people that lived right there. It's so interesting living in the city because it's like it breathes in and out. In the morning it takes a deep breath and tons of people flood in like little ants. Then as it begins to get dark it exhales and it's just us. The people who call that block home. I was just strolling home in this, wishing I could walk a little slower and soak this in a little longer.
It reminded me of a movie I saw yesterday called "The Evening". There was a part where a nurse told an old woman to picture one of her happiest moments. But a moment when she was alone- and it made me think what mine would be. I would have to say that life doesn't seem any more real than when you get stuck in one of those little bursts of magic...even though by definition they don't last very long. At least we get a glimpse now and then.
Thursday, October 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is a beautiful piece, Kate. Sometimes it's not a matter of getting stuck, but really taking the time to SEE that makes the time stand still for a bit.
Post a Comment