Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Crazies Are Out In Full Force.

Having lived in the city for about 4 years now, I have grown accustomed to just about everything you can think of. It takes quite a bit to surprise me. I have the Denver police non-emergency line programmed in my phone and other than that, I just go about my business. The crazies definitely come in waves. After the Winter when it starts to warm up they start coming out of the woodwork around the city. That's usually the most pronounced "crazy boom" of the year, but for some reason they are everywhere right now. Even in unexpected places. Of course, you have the crazies that are homeless and mentally ill who talk to themselves and bark at walls and things of that sort. They aren't really scary because I think they are too occupied trying to get ahold of themselves that they don't even notice other people around them. Then there are the crazy panhandlers that heckle you. My very favorite is the one that dresses like Santa starting in August and sings everything from Christmas carols to the Star Spangled Banner at the top of his lungs (and horrifically, I must add). He'll walk up to you and belt out a line at the top of his lungs right at you. The surprise came from a girl in one of my classes. I'm taking this incredibly boring (required) classical sociological theory class (the name alone makes me want to fall asleep). There is this girl in my class that has been trouble from the beginning. Even if she is asking a question it comes out like an attack. At first the class laughed at her a lot and whispered and I would sit in the back of the class watching everyone (because that is what I do...maybe that's where this sociology thing comes from), but I would really feel bad for her. I thought, this is just like high school. Even in college that poor girl can't have her own opinion and speak up without being sanctioned by these twerps. However, after weeks of this and a couple outbursts (including one in the last class), I have decided that this chick is just plain old bat shit crazy. Excuse the expression, but for some reason it is in my vocabulary lately, and no Mom, I know, intelligent people don't talk like that ; ). So now I have started wondering, maybe the reason that people have always been so harsh towards those who violate social norms is because those people really are off their rocker. Maybe there is more reason to these social norms than we give them credit. Anyhow, the crazy people are everywhere right now.

No comments: