Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Moonlight Classic



Last night (this morning), I rode in my first Moonlight Classic. It is a charity bike ride benefiting senior citizens and it starts at midnight. The bike ride is about 15 miles and it is broken up with three rest stops (and for some people multiple bars). It was SO much fun. There were about 6,000 people who rode in it. It begins at the state capital and then weaves around Denver's historic areas. The streets are basically shut down and there are police at every intersection directing traffic. It is pretty crazy. People dress up in costumes and some people have pretty interesting bikes that they're riding. It's definately an experience to ride a bike in the middle of the road (and at times in the rain) with a hoard of people....a little intense sometimes...but our group didn't have any casualties. I was sometimes reminded of a steeple chase where everyone takes off at once and someone falls and the next thirty people behind them all pile up on top of each other. It was so much fun though. However, I forgot to stretch after this 15 mile ride and now I feel like my legs will never recover. They actually woke me up this morning because they were throbbing. All of my friends and I agree that the bike seats were not kind to our bums either...we're all sitting on pillows today. In one of the pics you can see some people that were in our group. They glued hair curlers to their bike helmets and had moo moos (sp.?) on.

No comments: