I have done it.
I bought a new couch last week.
It has taken me a very long time to get to this point- just ask my family and friends. My Mom has been BEGGING me for years to get rid of the green couch or at least get it re-covered. I just never found anything that could take it's legendary place. Truthfully, I still haven't. The new couch is going to be great- but nothing could fill the shoes of the green couch. So, the junkman is picking up the green couch tomorrow morning. I mean, just look at it. Not a loose cushion left, big hole in the middle, and don't even flip the cushion over.....you're seeing the good side. Plus, sometimes when I get up the loose piping trips me and it rips just a little bit more...
Here is the obituary for the green couch:
GREEN POLKA DOT COUCH
1984-present
Green Polka Dot Couch sent to the junkman on Monday June 4, 2007. Couch survived by Kate Lindenbaum, Isabelle Lindenbaum and New Clean Couch (to be delivered Tuesday). Green Polka Dot Couch had lived a very long and fruitful life in Colorado and was used for entertaining, comfort and relaxation, and pillow forts. Green couch survived many rough incidents in its life- spilling, burning, ripping, the loss of all of its loose cushions, and the worst of all- The Isabelle vomiting incident (proof that Vitamic C goo does NOT come out and only looks like a giant blood stain once dried- Junkman, I did not murder someone on the couch). Although all these terrible things happened to green couch, it still pressed on providing comfort for the weary. Green couch will always be remembered for its perseverance and longevity as well as its committment to the relaxation of the people on it.
Thank you green couch and rest in peace.
4 comments:
HALLELUJAH! And God bless the junkman!!
Flashback to the mid-seventies when Jill mourned the departure of the den couch, wailing "It's the only couch I ever knew!" Farewell, Kate's green couch. Loved the post.
Oh, Nan, you story thief! :-) But yes, I can relate to the sadness. But you will LOVE your new couch. Aunt Florence would be proud!
Goodbye Green Couch, Guardian of the Game Room, the deepest and most comfortable couch (and overnight drunk-friend bed) I have known.
Witness to so many events, some trivial, some epic, and some devious, you will be remembered.
No future couch will ever fill your footprint (mainly because you were freakishly deep - and also because that color scheme is not likely to make a come back).
[ observed moment of silence ]
Post a Comment