I'm not sure if you all know this, but I started smoking cigarettes when I was a teenager. It was a decision that I always regretted- but once I started, there was really no turning back. Not because the nicotine had taken me hostage and I got all twitchy without a cigarette- that was never my biggest problem. My biggest problem was that I loved everything about smoking. I didn't even mind the gross parts like the way it made my clothes, car, and house smell. I loved sitting on a porch on a warm summer night and smoking with my friends. I loved smoking a cigarette after a big meal (who knows why that always makes people feel less full). I loved using it as a buffer when I was frustrated, upset, or mad (even though it was all placebo). I loved long road trips with good music and endless smokes. Smoking seems to have a way of enhancing a situation. It buffers a conversation. It brings strangers together.
That being said, I quit 6 weeks ago today, and I couldn't be more thrilled. Sure, I miss it and it hits me like a wall out of the blue, but there are a thousand reasons not to smoke, and really only one reason to smoke- I want to. It actually has been surprisingly less challenging than I expected to be out at bars or with my friends who all seem to smoke. I am so excited that I have enough self control to be successful that it's almost like everyday feels like a victory, and I wouldn't ever want to mess that up. Don't get me wrong, I don't get upset if someones cigarette smoke happens to blow in my general direction... it still smells so good to me.
Anyway, the point is that when I quit smoking, I picked up cycling, which is really what my story is about today. I have always LOVED riding my bike. When I was little, I rode practically everywhere. I still had my mountain bike from like middle school, and I decided if I proved to myself that I would stick with it, I would buy myself a nice bike. So, after a couple months of being consistent, I invested in a beautiful road bike that I know absolutely nothing about. I have tortured the poor souls at the bike shop with endless stupid questions, watched videos online, and am trying to acquire a completely new jargon. Yesterday, I had the bike fitting so that the dimensions were all perfectly matched for me- you know, seat height, handle bar adjustments, etc. I also had my cleats put on my new bike shoes. This is where the real victory comes into play. My bike pedals can be used with regular shoes, or you can flip them over and clip in with bike shoes. Now, the clips are on the bottom of the shoes and they literally lock into the pedal and you have to do a twisting motion with your ankle to pop them out of place. The guy at the store is saying that the number one problem is that people don't remember to unclip soon enough, panic, and end up falling over. I asked him if this was a common occurrence, and he was like, "Aw yeah, we've all done it". And I thought, great. I am the most accident prone person I know. I mean, as we speak I have three bruises on my legs that aren't related to any sort of recreational activity- more like I closed the car door on my own leg, etc. So I'm thinking I am in big trouble with these clips. Don't get me wrong- I'm already taking a chance with the bike all together, but I figure that I have good health insurance, always wear a helmet, and hope for the best. But the clips sound like a Kate accident waiting to happen. I couldn't just forget about them though because they really do make a huge difference when you are riding.
So I got home with the new shoes and clips today and decided to go out in the neighborhood and practice the clipping/un-clipping in motion. To my great surprise, I am really good at it! I can pop them in and out fairly easily, especially for a beginner I think, and they really do make it easier to pedal. I just have to remember to un-clip a few feet before stopping, but I think I can manage that.
The moral of this long story is that as I was riding back home, feeling like I'd really accomplished something, it occurred to me how long it has been since I learned how to do something new. I mean, I know you do new things fairly often, but I mean really finding something I am interested and having to learn a whole new skill. When you are little, it seems like that's all you ever do. It's like, I wanna play soccer, and then two weeks later it's ice skating, and then two more weeks it's painting, you get the idea. It seems like young minds are always eager to try new things and learn new skills- even if they are fleeting. It's hard to remember as you get older that there is a whole world of stuff and subcultures out there. Clubs and activities and enthusiasts just waiting for another person to catch on. It is so easy to get weighed down in a routine- and I haven't had a hobby in a really long time. I've just learned in the last month how important it is to have something you enjoy and can learn something new and work towards proficiency in.
So there you go everybody. That is the wisdom I have to share. If you don't have something, find something, and it will open up a whole new world of abilities you never knew you had.
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment