We're hiring for a position at work and I have been getting resumes all day ( I know the e needs a little thingy, but I don't know where the key is on my computer, so don't judge me). My first observation was how good it feels to be on the interviewer end, rather than the person being interviewed. It's actually quite exciting to be interviewing. Like playing a slot machine... never sure what you're gonna get. It's going to be hard to fill too, because unless it's the jackpot, the person will never live up to the person in the position before them *tear*. But people have to move on.
So, I am getting in these resumes and I am telling you, I am appalled. I mean, I just finished job hunting and all that crap last year, and yeah, it's a pain in the ass. Having to write a cover letter and adjust your resume and all that is not something that anyone enjoys. However, it is a necessary evil. I got emails today that just listed jobs on the email, no heading, no "sincerely" so and so. Just like, here's my work history. Period. No fricken name sometimes!
I am wondering when people stopped showing respect to people in writing. I still come from the background that when writing business related correspondence, you use the proper form. You use Mr. and Ms., and you close a letter with something respectable. I'm just disgusted. I totally understand if you didn't get an education and you just don't know these things. That is one thing. It is a whole other thing to be a person who holds a degree higher than high school and not know how to write a resume and cover letter. Even if you never learned, LOOK IT UP! I mean, come on. I know these are desperate times for many people but it doesn't mean that chivalry has to be thrown right out the window. It's like showing up for an interview in sweatpants. It shows no professionalism or motivation. I can't but help judging capability by the way a person presents themselves. Anyway, I just felt like venting. Things used to be respectable for crying out loud.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment