Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Case Of The Chicken Wings


Anyone who knows me well can agree that I can be a little bit random at times... in many different areas. So when I presented my latest mystery to my friends, I prefaced it by saying, "OK, this is a weird, 'Kate' thing" and they all went, "Oh jeez, here we go." Although, I think they are were all secretly excited to hear my latest quandary.
It all started about a week ago in the middle of the night. Don't ask me why, but for whatever reason, I was roused from my slumber at around 2AM with a question about chicken wings. I actually woke up and thought this, exactly, "Why are chicken drum sticks so much bigger than those little tiny drum sticks when you are eating chicken wings? Oh my G-d what the hell am I eating? And why have I never thought of this? if you actually made a chicken drum stick into a fried buffalo chicken wing it would be about 3 or 4 times the size of the ones we eat!!! and why isn't anyone else wondering this same thing??" So, I jump awake, have this bizarre thought, and proceed to fall back into a blissful, undisturbed slumber.
However, in the morning I actually remember this question and review it in my mind to make sure there isn't an obvious answer that I am missing. I decide that it is a legitimate question and set out on a quest to find some answers. Keep in mind that I have never cooked chicken wings myself- I am totally ignorant to all things chicken wings except that I eat them now and then.

The first victims are some guys that I go to play poker with one night. I ask them my question of why are the drumsticks of chicken wings so much smaller than normal chicken drumsticks. The guys all look perplexed, and a little startled (as I was) to realize that there really is a concerning size difference. One of the guys says he knows why. Because they are made from chickens that are younger- that chickens are slaughtered at all different ages. The dude tells me that I am eating baby chickens. I'm a little appalled, but don't get too worked up because I am not so sure I believe him. First of all, he was a young guy named "Bob". You never meet a young guy named Bob. It always comes from Robert, and these days young dudes go by Rob, ya know? so strike one. Second, I don't know Bob. How do I know if he is wise in the ways of chicken? So, two strikes equals limited credibility.

Next day, some friends and I are at a bar and I ask the same question. Again, I get baffled looks all around. I can't believe that no one knows the answer and no one has thought about this. So another friend says that he once read a recipe for chicken wings and that it told him to take the actual wing and push the meat up to make it into a "drumstick" looking type thing. I don't remember the exact feeling involved, but basically, I didn't believe him. Plus, it seemed like a physiological impossibility, so there went that theory.

Finally, I went with my friend to her Mom's house for dinner and I introduced my dilemma. My friend explains that chicken drumsticks aren't as large as I think they are in my mind, and that the wing drum sticks and regular drumsticks are the same size. While she is telling the story, she is obviously taking too much time to explain her theory which indicates only one thing- she's making it up. So I discredit her immediately.

So with no answers I truck on, undeterred and determined to find an answer. So, I do what any person does these days. I Google it. But I still don't find the answer. Then, I look at images of raw chicken wings and I found my answer, which I will explain to you good people. I now present to you exhibit A:

If you look at the anatomy of a chicken wing- and we're talking a normal size, non-baby chicken wing, there are three sections. There is the little pointy tip that no one eats, so imagine that gone. Now, that just leaves the two other sections, and if you separate those, you have your chicken wings! The top half is rounded on the top and it resembles a chicken drumstick. But it's not a chicken drumstick! it is merely a top of a wing masquerading as a drumstick. And of course there is the other section which is the "wing" looking part of the wing. Mystery solved. It really makes you wonder after asking all of these people and no one knows-how can so many of us eat stuff that we don't know what it is or where it came from? Anyway, I feel like Nancy Drew. If this were a Nancy Drew novel it would be entitled, "Nancy Drew and the case of the shrinking drumstick".

Case Closed.

No comments: