Continuing a long tradition in my family, I like to go to the movies alone in the afternoon on my days off sometimes. I definitely look at it as a little escape from reality for a few hours where I can hide in the dark anonymously with my bag of popcorn or whatever and just check-out for a bit.
However, I really only go to see comedies and romantic comedies-and for good reason. I have enough stress going on in real life that when I pay to go watch a movie, I want to leave in a better mood than when I went in. I want the movie to give me a warm, fuzzy feeling to go back out into the world with. This is the precise reason why I DO NOT like watching horror/science fiction/scary movies. I will occasionally watch one in a well lit room surrounded by my friends, but I honestly can't remember the last time I did that. Also, older scary movies aren't too bad because back then the graphics and effects were pretty lame and it's not as scary. Not the case anymore. These days, movies are so scary and twisted that just the images give me the heebi jeebies without even knowing the plot. I am by nature a jumpy person, and I am just not built for that kind of stuff.
The last few times that I have gone to the movies (to see a nice, uplifting comedy by the way), there have been previews for horror movies before my movie comes on. These previews (as I am sure you all know) have that scary music and scene editing where it cuts to some one's terrified face and then to some image that is so disturbing to me that I can't get it out of my head. Today it was a zombie child with glowing eyes, walking in this bent-over-backwards, all fours, twisted position and his nasty dead face. I frankly have had enough. I didn't go to see a scary movie and I am not interested in seeing the trailers for horrific, nightmare conjuring previews. It's just not fair. I want pretty people falling in love in the midst of comedic scenarios where everyone has a happy ending and you get some good laughs. I don't want to have to leave the movies and put in a Disney movie in order to drown out the image of the dead kid. This madness has got to stop. The technology is too good now and things are just too scary- including the movie trailers.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment