Sunday, January 6, 2008

Luggage Tags



It just so happens that I am going to Peru tomorrow... kind of random, but it should be an awesome adventure. While packing, I attached a funny luggage tag to my bag. As I was filling out the piece of paper for the tag, it occurred to me that the luggage tag is the last type of identification that people aren't paranoid about. These days, we hide our personal information like no one is safe. Whether we're afraid they are going to steal our identities, or worried they'll show up at our front door, we live in fear of the "bad people". Rightfully so, because those things do happen. My friend had her identity stolen and it made a huge mess for her. This is why it baffles me that while we don't like giving a stranger our first name, we still feel ok about putting our name, address, phone number, and email address on a piece of paper for the world to see. Kind of like, "If you like what's in this bag, come to my house... it's a gold mine." In a way, I like it. I like that it is still as simple as a little name tag, like when we used to write our names on our pencil box at school, before cell phones, pagers, email addresses and answering machines. Some day, we'll probably be required to have a retina scan before we can take our luggage off the belt.
Anyway, just food for thought... and because I am slightly mistrusting of the bad people, I just put my name and number. They'll have to call me before they can stalk me.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Hope you have a GREAT trip!!!!!